Monday 28 February 2011

Recipe: Crockpot Smashed Potato Soup

I'd like to thank everyone for your sweet comments on Friday's post and for keeping my family & cousin in your prayers. She's making a little progress each day.


I wish I had discovered this hearty potato soup recipe at the beginning of the fall/winter season. I guarantee I would have made it on an almost weekly basis. It's so simple but so full of flavor and seriously fills your tummy! It almost makes me excited for the fall so I can make it all the time...almost.


Smashed Potato Soup
adapted from Better Homes & Gardens Slow Cooker Family Dinners cookbook

Ingredients:
3 1/2 pounds potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1/2 chopped yellow pepper
1/2 chopped red pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
4 strips low sodium bacon, diced
additional sliced green onion




Directions:
In crockpot, combine potatoes, peppers, garlic and black pepper. Pour chicken broth all over.

Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours (we did 10). Meanwhile cook chopped bacon until crispy, set aside.

After 8 to 10 hours mash potatoes slightly with a potato masher. Stir in cream, cheddar cheese and the 1/2 cup green onions.



Top individual servings with additional sliced green onion, bacon and cheddar cheese.

This recipe makes 8 servings; 243 calories per serving (without toppings).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

f