Tuesday 29 December 2009

I Was Once A Dreamer

When I graduated college I believed that all of my life's goals and dreams would be achieved by the time I was 25. Well here I am turning 26 in a couple of weeks and I have yet to accomplish one goal. I realize that putting a time limit on goals and dreams can really set you up for disappointment.

I thought that by the time I was 25 I would be the General Manager of a hotel, married with at least 1 kid. (I'm not even a little sad about not having kids haha) After discovering that I don't enjoy working in hotels it's time to make some new dreams! I want 2010 to be the year that I stop procrastinating with my life and truly start working towards achieving some goals.

It's no secret to anyone that I hate my job. While many people have made careers out of real estate or done great things in the real estate industry it's simply is not my passion. I need something more challenging and I need something that I'm passionate about and I really need a job that offers benefits haha. My job offers no insurance, no paid time off of any kind and no other benefits.

I like the marketing aspect of my current job and I love finance and numbers. I would love to work in either marketing or finance but how do I break into a field that I have very little experience in?

Sooooo I'm thinking about getting my Masters degree! I feel that a Masters would help to give me a nudge forward as it can be subsituted for actual experience in some cases. I haven't done a ton of research yet but as there are 4 colleges in my town alone I know I would easily find something local. I'm certainly open to hear anyone's opinion on my idea!

Mainly I think I need to just take my life into my own hands and change the things I don't like. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining or saying that my life sucks. I'm just reflecting on how different it is from what I imagined it would be when I graduated college and while there are many many great things about it, there are some things I would  simply love to see change. Changes don't just happen though.

While some of the things I want are simply out of my control I see nothing wrong with working harder towards changing the ones that I can. So I'll start small. I think getting my Masters could be a great way to further my education and give me an opportunity at a career I may not have had in the first place.

So maybe this is a new year's resolution of sorts. Maybe it's just time for a change.


Bright eyed college grad who thought she could conquer the world.
Maybe I still can.
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

f